Carolyn Mallon, RN
EDUCATION & HONORS
- (Candidate) Bachelor of Science, Nursing, Southern New Hampshire University. Manchester, NH. 2017
- Associate of Science, Nursing, NHTI – Concord’s Community College. Concord, NH. 2012
- Graduated with High Honors
- Commencement Speaker
- Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society
- Undergraduate Coursework (English, Communications), University of Maryland University College. Europe (UK). 2001-2001
- Test Development and Item Writing Course, National Council of State Boards of Nursing. 2015
LICENCES & CERTIFICATIONS
- Registered Nurse, State of New Hampshire Board of Nursing, 2012-present
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Professionals, American Heart Association, expires 2017
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention Training, Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) Training, New Hampshire Hospital, Concord, NH, 2012
AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIPS
- NH Charitable Foundation Scholarship (second award), 2015
- The President’s Award for Outstanding Professionalism, 2012
- Goldie Crocker Award for Nursing Excellence, 2011
- Concord Hospital Trust Scholarship , 2011
- NH Charitable Foundation Scholarship , 2011
- E.O. Program for Continuing Education Scholarship, 2011
TEACHING & TUTORING EXPERIENCE
- Corporate Training – Test Item Writing and Alignment, Higher Learning Technologies. Coralville, Iowa. 2016. Created and presented a four-hour course for content managers and contractors about alignment to learning outcomes, Bloom’s taxonomy, avoiding bias, and distractor discrimination.
- Corporate Training – NCLEX Mastery Client Success, Higher Learning Technologies. Online. 2015. Developed a Google Slides course to train customer support on the unique needs of the nursing student audience.
- WyzAnt.com – NCLEX (National Council Licensure Examination) Tutor. Concord, NH and online, 2015-2016. Tutored nursing students on basic pathophysiology, pharmacology, and test taking strategy.
- Lab Tutor – Anatomy and Physiology Open Lab, NHTI – Concord’s Community College. Concord, NH. 2012-2011
- Nursing Subject Matter Expert and Mobile Content Developer, Higher Learning Technologies. Coralville, Iowa. 2015-present.
- Exam Accommodations Reader and Scribe, Universal Exams Solutions. 2015-present.
- Camp Nurse, Camps Kenmont and Kenwood. Kent, CT. 2015.
- Circulating RN – Cardiovascular and General Operating Room, Catholic Medical Center. Manchester, NH. 2013-2015.
- Circulated in cardiothoracic cases including on and off-pump CABGs and valve replacements, thoracoscopies, and endovascular interventions. General cases included robotic-assisted surgery with the DaVinci system, orthopedic and spinal surgeries, OB/GYN, urology, and many others.
- Experienced in sterile procedures, assisting with specimen retrieval and handling, documentation of procedures and implants, as well as client assessment and consents.
- Psychiatric Registered Nurse, New Hampshire Hospital. Concord, NH. 2012-2013.
- Worked with a diverse and acute inpatient population on a busy admission unit. Performed psychiatric assessments and participated in treatment and discharge planning and milieu management.
LEADERSHIP & SERVICE
- Member of the Board of Directors, Second Start. Concord, NH. 2016-present.
- Aids in planning effective educational programs for the broad community and the Second Start alternative high school for at risk youth
- Volunteer Newspaper Club Organizer, Boys & Girls Club of America. Concord, NH. 2016-present.
- Event Volunteer, Girls in Technology Day, NH Department of Education. Concord, NH. 2016.
- Hospice Volunteer, Beacon Hospice. Concord, NH. 2011-2012.
- Supported hospice clients with twice weekly visits; provided a caring presence to end-stage dementia and clients with Alzheimer’s disease. Completed 30 hours of training in palliative care and the grieving .
- Crisis Hotline Volunteer, Crisis Center of Central New Hampshire. Concord, NH. 2011-2012.
- Provided support and information to victims of domestic and sexual violence; included safety planning, lethality assessments, and referrals to community resources.
- Chapter President – National Student Nurses Association, NHTI – Concord’s Community College. Concord, NH. 2011-2012.
- Ran monthly meetings, held fundraisers, and facilitated community service events including blood pressure drives for the homeless and a collection of supplies for a local domestic violence women’s shelter.
- Student Body & Faculty Liaison, NHTI – Concord’s Community College. Concord, NH. 2011-2012.
- Attended monthly nursing faculty meetings and maintained an online student communication forum on Blackboard.
- Event Planning Committee Member, Master of Ceremonies and Panel Moderator, NHTI – Concord’s Community College. Concord, NH. 2012.
- For NHTI’s first nursing conference: “Nurses as Role Models: Finding Inspiration, Energy, and Balance,” with guest speaker Patrick Hickey, RN, DrPh.
- Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs Committee Member, NHTI – Concord’s Community College. Concord, NH. 2011-2012.
- Orientation Leader, NHTI – Concord’s Community College. Concord, NH. 2012.
- Senior Nursing Student Mentor, NHTI – Concord’s Community College. Concord, NH. 2011-2012.
- Participant, “Dancing with the Concord Stars” Winter Fling, NHTI – Concord’s Community College. Concord, NH. 2012.
- Participant in annual fundraiser for the President’s Fund for Excellence at NHTI. Winner of the People’s Choice Award and Best Overall for swing dance routine
- Association for Non-Traditional Students in Higher Education, 2016
- Toastmaster’s International, Club # 6954. Concord, NH, 2016
- Mallon, C. “Organizing for Success.” 2016. Presentation: Lunch and Learn (company-wide book talk)
- Mallon, C.” Working for a Tech Startup.” 2016. Presentation: Invited guest speaker, Alvirne High School pre-engineering classes, NH (2016)
PUBLICATIONS & MEDIA
Mobile Applications (selected)
- CNA Mastery (in production), Higher Learning Technologies. Primary writer and creator of this mobile test-prep app preparing candidates for each of the three major Certified Nursing Assistant exams offered in the US.
- Nursing Clinical Mastery, 2015, Higher Learning Technologies. Primary writer and creator for the first version of this mobile clinical guide with skills, assessments, and summaries of CDC and Joint Commission recommendations for nurses.
- Mallon, C. 16 Strategies for Passing the NCLEX-RN. 1st ed. Learning Technologies. N.p., 15 May 2016. Web.
- Mallon, C. 16 Strategies for Passing the NCLEX-LPN/VN. 1st ed. Learning Technologies. N.p., 21 May 2016. Web.
- Mallon, C. If Punishments Don’t Work for ADHD Kids, What Does? ADD Resources. N.p., 2015. Web.
- Mallon, C. The New Nurse’s Guide to Paging the Doctor at Night. The Nerdy Nurse. N.p., Web.
- Gibson, T. “Episode 362: Carolyn Mallon on Raising Kids with ADHD.” The Family Podcast Network. N.p., Web.
- “How to Succeed at Clinicals. Nurses Carolyn and Cindi Share Tips and Take Your Questions.” Facebook Live, Sept. 14, 2016.
- *Interactive live broadcast with 13,000+ viewers
- “Ask An Expert: Nurse Carolyn. Balancing Nursing School and Home Life”. Periscope, Oct. 15, 2015.
- *Interactive live broadcast